Yeo Moor Primary School
A LOVE OF LEARNING THAT LASTS A LIFETIME
Tel: 01275 875607
SEN (Special Educational Needs)
At Yeo Moor we pride ourselves on the provision we give to SEN children, we are highly regarded within the local authority in this area and children with SEN achieve well at Yeo Moor.
Role of the SENCO
In Yeo Moor Primary School the key responsibilities of the SENCO include:
* overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school's SEN policy
* writing the SEN Policy
* helping to coordinate provision for children with special educational needs
* liaising with and advising fellow teachers
* helping to manage learning support assistants
* overseeing the records of all children with special educational needs
* liaising with parents of children with special educational needs
* contributing to the in-service training of staff
* applying for audit funding
* liaising with the VL Assistant Head and Learning Mentor
* liaising with external agencies including the LEA’s support and
educational psychology services, health and social services, and
Learning Mentor role at Yeo Moor Primary School
The role of the learning mentor involves offering support to our families and our vulnerable children. This can be through a variety of ways, for example: for families, arranging meetings between staff and parents – being a link between school and home; maintaining contact between split families if required, and ensuring the absent parent has a contact point. We also talk and share experiences with families around issues of parenting and running Incredible Years programmes and family SEAL when appropriate.
We aim to take a holistic approach to our work - looking at the family unit and any support that may be needed. Monitoring attendance and punctuality also forms part of the role.
We offer a listening ear and will help children to think about their worries and problems in a solution focused way. We help children to see they hold the answers and have worry boxes in each class for children to access.
We work closely with our senior school colleagues to help support and manage transition between Key Stages, especially transfer to secondary school. This involves working with other agencies and schools within Clevedon.
We focus on attempting to help children reduce any barriers to their learning and build on their potential. We aim for children to access the learning and teaching on offer in their classrooms.